22 Aug Top Ten Foods to Help Keep You Cool During The Summer
Most of us struggle to keep cool during the summer. We turn up the AC, take cold showers, and take swims in oceans, lakes, and pools in an attempt to combat the sweltering heat of the sun. What most people don’t know is that you can eat your way to body temperature regulation.
Please note that if you tend to run cold even during the summer months, unfortunately this list is not for you.
1. Watermelon: Water is in the name and hydrating is this summer melons game. Hydrated individuals rarely suffer from heat stroke. Make sure to include watermelon in all of your summer picnics!
2. Cucumber: Under the same principle as watermelon, cucumbers are very rich in H2O. Cucumber is not as high in sugar content as watermelon, so those dieting to continue to fit into summer bikinis need not worry!
3. Tomatoes: Tomatoes are always a summer staple. Whether put in salsa, salad, sliced on sandwiches, or eaten raw this fruit, often mistaken for a vegetable, helps to regulate body temperature to keep you cool.
4. Grapes: Grapes are what is commonly referred to as an astringent food. Astringents help with the absorption of water by your body’s cells. This makes grapes a tasty and great addition to any summer meal.
5. Kale: Most of you reading this list are probably not surprised to see kale on this list. This staple in any veggie head’s diet contains a ton of calcium which works as a thermo regulator for your body. Try kale in a morning smoothie. It adds little flavor but packs a nutrient rich punch!
6. Organic Romaine Salad: Romaine additionally contains calcium and is a water rich leafy green.
7. Key Limes: Citrus and especially Key Limes are a classic summer food that helps regulate body temperature and keep you cool during the summer.
8. Quinoa: Quinoa and whole grains in general work to regulate distribution of calcium throughout your body. Try making quinoa salad with cucumber, tomatoes, and a squeeze of lime on top!
9. Celery: Following the same principle as watermelon and cucumber, celery is a water rich food. Couple that with the fact that it is essentially calorie negative and you have a perfect no guilt summer snack!
10. Spicy Peppers: Habanero, jalapeño, serrano, and chilis alike help keep you cool. Believe it or not eating spicy foods helps regulate body temperature by heating up your body which induces sweating. This in turn cools you down. It seems counter-intuitive, but this really works!